M.A. in Strategic Leadership
M.A. in Strategic Leadership
Earn your master’s degree and lead organizational change
Messiah University’s strategic leadership program will teach you best practices for successfully leading change, developing leaders, empowering teams and aligning organizations to achieve desired results.
M.A. in Strategic Leadership
Messiah University’s Master of Arts in Strategic Leadership program is designed for recent graduates and professionals who are looking to make a significant impact in the organizations they serve by becoming more effective leaders.
- 30 credits
- Fully online
- No-fee tuition
- No application fee
- Eight- and six-week courses
- Two-year completion
- Culminating capstone project with faculty member and organization of your choice
- Faculty who serve as mentors
- Extensive networking and career development opportunities
- Executive, director or manager leading teams and organizations
- HR executive / management
- Talent and organizational development leader
- Leadership and change management leader / consultant
Messiah University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education. It is the highest accrediting authority recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for degree-granting colleges and universities located in Pennsylvania, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and several other locations internationally.
In addition, Messiah University’s undergraduate program in business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The program is due for reaffirmation in 2021, at which time the Graduate Program in Business and Leadership will be added to this accreditation and is expected to be approved. Current and future graduate business and leadership students’ degrees will be grandfathered-in and be considered ACBSP accredited based upon this approval.
Want more career information?
Try our Career Finder Survey to get your customized job profile!
Explore Business Career Insights in Your Location
M.A. in Strategic Leadership coursework preview
The curriculum and coursework for Messiah University’s Master of Arts in strategic leadership is designed to be instantly relevant to your area of study and career.
Strategic Leadership (M.A.)
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates from Messiah’s Strategic Leadership program can:
- Articulate how faith inspires, informs, and gives purpose and meaning to the practice of ethical and effective leadership.
- Integrate leadership theories, models, and principles to evaluate organizational effectiveness.
- Analyze, problem-solve, and utilize change management techniques to optimize leaders, teams, and organizations.
- Demonstrate intercultural competence in leader, follower and team formation and development.
- Demonstrate leadership self-awareness through assessment and understanding of personal strengths and challenges.
Degree Requirements (30 credits)
Complete the following:
This course examines communication theories and best practices that influence and shape human interactions within complex, global organizations to achieve shared goals and manage change. The relationships between leadership, team dynamics, organizational structure, cross-cultural differences, and ethics in effective communication are also examined.
COMM 530 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the cornerstone of effective leadership – personal character. Students will explore character attributes that comport with God-honoring leadership; effective models for cultivating character attributes and personal development; inhibitors to development; and the impact of character on effectively leading others and achieving organizational success.
LEAD 501 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the leader’s role in strategic thinking, planning, and organizational change. Students will examine best practices in assessing an organization’s readiness for change, change management implementation, and strategies for coping with resistance to change.
LEAD 505 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the historical, academic study of leadership theory. Students will examine the ontology, axiology, and praxis of leadership by examining the various strengths, weaknesses, and contextual constraints of leadership theories and models.
LEAD 515 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the practice of leading leaders within an organization. Students will examine effective practices for leader identification, development, empowerment, motivation, and accountability to achieve organizational results.
LEAD 530 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the social and organizational aspects of being an effective follower and working within groups and teams. Students will examine group dynamics and the social psychology of teamwork, including stages of team development, conflict resolution, and trust.
LEAD 540 / 3 Credits
LEAD 550 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the strategies, principles, and techniques needed to effectively lead organizations in a diverse world. Students will examine how culture, gender, ethnicity, socio-economic status, religion, and generation impact the role of the leader, the practice of leadership, and the effectiveness of the organization.
LEAD 560 / 3 Credits
This course describes the fundamental principles and methodologies for conducting research. A broad research overview is provided, including the formulation of research questions/hypotheses as well as quantitative, qualitative, and mixed method designs. A basic introduction to statistical analysis as well as consideration of ethical implications of research is also addressed. The course provides students with the skills needed to critically evaluate published research and to design a framework for implementing a research proposal in an area of interest.
LEAD 580 / 3 Credits
This course is an independent learning experience designed to allow the student the opportunity to incorporate the material learned in the MSL program in an integrative, applied project. Students in this course complete a field project in an organization of their choice, supervised by a faculty member.
LEAD 590 / 3 Credits
M.A. in Strategic Leadership tuition cost
$725.00 per credit, no fee tuition
Know what you are paying for with Messiah’s no-fee tuition. With our graduate programs, the cost per credit is what you pay – there are no hidden fees for labs, courses, services or technology. We put the true cost of your program upfront so that you can accurately compare and plan for your graduate education.
2021-2022 tuition per graduate credit hour: $725
Tuition cost for the entire 36 credit-hour program at the 2021-2022 rate: $26,100
Graduate students are eligible to apply for federal financial aid.
Next steps for admissions
Applying for admission to a graduate program at Messiah University is the first step to making your personal and professional goals a reality.
- Official transcripts indicating a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree earned
- Completed application
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (< 3.0 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- Personal Statement of Purpose: Your 300-500 word statement should describe your preparations for graduate work, your reasons for applying for this particular graduate program at Messiah University and how this graduate program will help you meet your professional and educational goals
- One recommendation (addressing your professional experience and/or academic performance, excluding relatives)
- Fall: October 21, 2021
- Early Spring:January 9, 2022
- Late Spring: March 13, 2022
- Summer: May 15, 2022
Before completing an application for any of Messiah University’s graduate and certificate programs, please read our Admissions Requirements to ensure that you are eligible for enrollment and to receive a helpful checklist of the supporting documentation that you will need to provide to complete your application. Questions regarding the application process may be directed to email@example.com.
New to Messiah University
First-time users will need to create an account to start a new application.
Returning users can log in to continue their pre-existing application.
Why choose Messiah University?
The benefits of earning your M.A. in Strategic Leadership degree online at Messiah University are endless.
Flexible. Respected. Affordable.
As part of our continued commitment to excellence as an institution of higher education, Messiah University is:
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- A member institution of the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Named the #1 Best Business Degree Program for 2017 by Christian Universities Online
- Recognized as a 2019-2020 national “College of Distinction for Business”
- A respected member of the Central Pennsylvania community whose graduates are highly sought after for roles across the Commonwealth and beyond
Ready to start your online M.A. in Strategic Leadership journey with Messiah University? Start your free application now.